We are all aware of how important exercise is, and most of us know that stretching is an important part of those exercises. But, that doesn't mean we all do it. Studies have shown that stretching improves workouts and reduces risk of injury. So, if you are going to take the time to work out, make sure you do it right, and stretch! It's an important exercise and requires no equipment and no special clothes.
Stretching increases flexibility, improves balance, and allows for easier movement. If done regularly, it can help to reduce stiffness/soreness, relieve low-back pain, and improve posture, agility and athletic performance. Stretching also improves circulation, reduces stress and fatigue, promotes relaxation, reduces tension, and makes you feel better naturally.
5 STRETCHING TIPS
If you stretch regularly, you will condition your muscles for exercise, allowing them to function more efficiently. Here are 5 tips to keep in mind while stretching:
- Before you use your muscles, warm them up. Do jumping jacks, jog in place, or ride your bike around the block.
- Perform each stretch in a slow and controlled manner. Hold the stretch for 20-30 seconds.
- Avoid bouncing or bobbing while stretching. Simply holding the stretch is effective and unnecessary movements can be lead to injuries.
- Stretch to the point of slight discomfort. You should feel the stretch in your muscles, not in your joints. Be mindful of what your body is telling you while stretching and if you feel acute pain, stop and call us.
- Be sure to stretch both sides of your body or limb in the same way.
If you're looking for more ways to improve your health and wellness, just ask us during your next visit!